• logo ungheni

The medieval fortification from Tutora “Zamoisky’s Ditch”

  • Information

The medieval fortification from Tutora “Zamoisky’s Ditch”

In the village Buzduganii de Jos, traces of a military fortification (fortress) are preserved at the crossing of the ford over the Prut, which is a circular ditch, 30 m wide and 20 m deep .

This appeared as a result of the operation in the summer of 1595 when the Polish army (7300), led by hetman Jan Zamoyski entered Moldova and on August 27 occupied Hotin. After the conquest of the capital Iasi, on September 3 the great Polish hetman installed Ieremia Movila in the royal seat. The introduction of the Polish army into Moldova caused a quick reaction of the Ottoman Porte. At the beginning, a powerful army of Tatars entered Moldova (about 25 thousand), led by the Khan of Crimea, Gazi Giray II. At the news of the advance of the Tatars from Chisinau to Iasi, Zamoyski transferred his army to the left bank of the Prut to protect the crossing ford of the river (between Ungheni and Valea Mare), building a special fortification, from dug trenches and the carriages of the “oboz” (group), and in front – a wave of defense with 13 bastions and four gates.

The locality preserves vestiges from the Late Iron Age, VI-IV centuries BC, being a human settlement and a crossing to the Prut in that period. The territorial unit was documented starting from 1454, during various periods it was also a temporary royal residence (16th-17th centuries), an Ottoman military base (17th-18th centuries), a medieval Moldavian city, the site of numerous Turkish-Moldavian-Tatar-Polish etc. military confrontations.

A rich archaeological material was discovered in this space.

Location

We meet here:

Village Tutora

primaria.valeamareungheni@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/Primaria.Comuna.ValeaMare/