• logo ungheni

The “Eiffel” railway bridge over the river Prut

  • Information

The “Eiffel” railway bridge over the river Prut

Engineering construction, valuable through the fame of its author, Gustave Eiffel. The construction is the result of an emergency situation, when in 1875, the original bridge, designed by the Russian engineer Balitskii, was damaged by the waters of the Prut.

To redo the project, Gustave Eifel was invited, at that time only a bridge builder, whose fame would come much later, through the famous Parisian tower.

It is the only railway bridge connecting the two banks of the Prut. By a decision of the City Council of April 20, 2012, on the occasion of the 135th anniversary of its inauguration, the bridge was named “Gustave Eiffel”.

On May 6, 1990, the first and most important flowers bridge took place here, when Romanians from both banks of the Prut managed to shake hands, after 35 years of isolation.

Location

We meet here:

Ungheni City

37379018941

primaria.ungheni@gmail.com